Tips To Get Rid of Bad Breath Permanently
Posted by Roshana Sherzoy Apr 30, 2023
Bad breath, also known as halitosis, can be a major cause of embarrassment and social anxiety. Bad breath has many causes, and your dentist can help you determine if your bad breath is a result of dental problems.
What is bad breath?
Bad breath is an unpleasant smell that comes from the mouth. It can impact many aspects of an individual’s life, such as their relationships or career. Fortunately, bad breath treatment exists to help individuals eliminate their bad breath and improve their quality of life.
Causes of bad breath
Bad breath can be caused by a variety of factors, including poor oral hygiene habits, dry mouth, or diet choices such as eating pungent foods or drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. Since many cases of bad breath can be a sign of gum disease or other oral health problems, it’s important to schedule a regular checkup with your dentist so that they can identify the root cause of your bad breath and treat it accordingly.
How to permanently get rid of bad breath
Bad breath can be caused by a number of things, such as eating strong foods like garlic and onions, smoking or chewing tobacco, dry mouth, inadequate oral hygiene, and certain medical conditions like uncontrolled diabetes or gum disease. Here is how you can prevent bad breath.
- Brushing your teeth regularly is important for several reasons, including preventing tooth decay and gum disease, getting rid of food particles stuck in your mouth, and protecting your gums from damage. Plaque buildup can lead to cavities and periodontal diseases, so brushing also helps prevent you from getting these oral conditions.
- Flossing is how you should clean between all of your teeth and prevent plaque from building up there. If bacteria builds up between the teeth, it causes a foul-smelling odor. You should floss at least once every day to remove anything trapped between your teeth.
- Not having enough saliva is one of the causes of chronic bad breath. Saliva naturally cleans your mouth by washing away leftover food and neutralizing the acids of the foods you eat that can cause odors. Dry mouth often occurs due to medications, drinking alcoholic beverages, smoking, health issues, stress, and more. So, drink plenty of water and avoid smoking, alcohol use, etc.
- If you’ve noticed that your toothbrush is getting worn out and isn’t able to properly clean your teeth anymore, then you should get a new toothbrush. Bacteria can accumulate on your toothbrush over time and cause bad breath. This is why it’s recommended that you replace your toothbrush every three to four months in order to prevent bacteria buildup.
- Bacteria can also build up on dentures or other dental appliances, which is why you should also make sure to brush them daily and clean them thoroughly on a regular basis as well.
- It’s also important to maintain a healthy balanced diet. Certain foods like onions and garlic can cause your breath to smell bad for several hours after consumption. Other foods, such as dairy products and meat products, can also lead to bad breath.
For more information, visit Englewood Dentistry at 334 Grand Ave, Englewood 07631, or call (201) 541-8111.